What is Make Music Day?
Make Music Day is a free celebration of music, which happens around the world every year on the 21st of June in commemoration of World Music Day. Launched in 1982 in France as the Fête de la Musique, it has become a global celebration held on the same day in more than 700 cities in 120 countries.
Make Music is a multi-venue event, open to anyone who wants to take part. Musicians (young, old, amateur or professional) from diverse musical persuasions get a platform to share their music with the world. All events are free, Un-ticketed and open to the public.
Make Music Day in Lagos
Lagos joined the global celebration in 2016 as Make Music Lagos. Make Music Lagos is a member of the global alliance; Make Music Alliance with Head Quarters in New York, which promotes the celebration of the World Music Day globally.
Make Music Lagos is promoted by Showgear Limited (a supplier of musical instruments and audio equipment) in partnership with industry partners and government agencies.
The Make Music Lagos stage has been graced by veterans and artists such as King Sunny Ade, Daddy Showkey, DJ Jimmyjat, Adewale Ayuba, Bez, Waje, Cohbams, Vector, Omawunmi to mention a few; hosted by Muson, Bogobiri, Freedom park, Dominos Pizza and Cold stone creamery.
We have also had resource partners such as Ten String Music Institute, Awarding winning producer Wole Oni and so many others.
Make Music Lagos 2019
The theme for the Make Music Lagos event for 2019 is Generation Nxt. The goal is to raise the next generation of musicians, instrumentalists, singers, music educators and concert goers. This year’s MML event with be from June 16 – June 23
Line up of events this year include
- Concerts: Free performances by artists in celebration of the World Music Day all around Lagos
- Learn to play: Free Music lessons to the public or your clients/staff in partnership with Music schools and teachers. This year we are visiting Pacelli’s school of the blind and Lagos State Education District
- Learn to DJ: Free DJ lessons to the public or your clients/staff in partnership with renowned DJs
- Street Studio: Producers set up and create music with public or your clients/staff.
- Music Business Conference: Thought Leaders Speak on the opportunities and issues in Music business in Nigeria, to foster learning and collaboration.
- New Music Marathon: A radio marathon of new songs or music never before heard on Radio, to give up and coming artist the opportunity to have their Music played on mainstream radio.